Fight plastic! 2018
Kolibri Expedions New Years resolution.
Half way through January already, but it is not too late to make a commitment. If you still don’t have a specific one regarding health, exercise or your birding goals, perhaps you would be interested to join us on a campaign not to use unnecessary plastic. Make a statement for our planet. Forthcoming, in preparation, there will be a blog post about plastic waste in Peru
I was spending the new year’s eve in Punta Arenas, Chile. There, since two years in many parts of the country, plastic bags in supermarkets are banned. Much to my surprise and totally unprepared for this when I went to the supermarket the other day. The supermarket bag packer asked for your brought bags to pack the purchased items. The lady in front of me put her hands in her pockets and quickly took out her bags made out of recycled bags made from PET bottles.
We must all chip in to be an inspiration in this sense. Make a difference! Change start with oneself. Become a model.
So from Kolibri Expeditions we shall do several things to limit the use of plastic in 2018.
- Shopping for groceries with recycled bags. Hopefully, with our own logo on these bags soon.
- Equip all our vehicles and our outsourced vehicles with water filters so that filtered water can be supplied to our clients.
- Provide clients with reusable water bottles to use during the trip if they have not brought their own.
- Provide lists of hotels and restaurants that supply filtered water for drinking, rather than selling plastic bottles.
- Educate our staff to say no to plastic cups, straws, pre-sliced cheese, etc, that use more plastic than necessary.
- Educate our clients and the general public about plastic abuse. We shall blog and use social media to get more people to join the movement against the use of disposable plastic.
Join us, and let us know what you will do to make the world a better place in 2018.
Happy New Year!
We at Kolibri Expeditions would like to wish you a very Happy New Year 2018. We are gearing up for our most intense year ever, celebrating 20 years. We provide tours to fit your schedule and your budget, welcoming all types of birders and bird photographers.
We´ll feature a big month in October. Join us in attempting to get over 1000 species in a month. News will be forthcoming.
New and recently discovered species is going to be a popular tour selection, with many undescribed species in Central Peru and two new species, the Cordillera Azul Antbird and Painted Manakin described last year which both can be found on our Scarlet-banded Barbet extension together with any North Peru itinerary that includes for example Morro Calzada (for more chance of Painted Manakin).
Bird photography and bird watching trips for those with very little time, only five days to a week in length, are other types of tours becoming very popular. There will be a photography specific trip in September for instance which shall be uploaded to the tour calendar the coming days.
AND We shall continue to push hard on our ongoing initiative educating and working towards a Single Use Plastic Free environment. We want to become an inspiration for all the people we connect with, you included.
Photo: Cock of the Rock. Carlos Altamirano.
Gunnar Engblom is a Swedish birder who lives in Peru since 1998, where he operates birdwatching and nature tours for Kolibri Expeditions. He is also a dedicated 3:04 marathon runner, right now training for Gold Coast Marathon, Australia in July 2018. In 2016 Gunnar additionally re-launched his rock’n’roll singer career with his band Guran Guran.